The gr8ful grind: Couch potato, hold the sour cream

Let go of anger; It's an acid that eats away the delicate layers of your happiness

The reverse side has also its reverse side

Thursday, December 02, 2004

Couch potato, hold the sour cream

I'm a couch potato. Most people who know me would find that fact contrary to their experience of me, but it's true. Except for traveling, I can't think of much I'd rather do than sit on the couch all weekend and watch football, movies, concerts, news programs, and my favorite TV series: Stargate SG-1 and The West Wing. (Unless it's playing music in a band, but that's another post for another day)

I'm a sci-fi fan and Stargate SG-1 does it for me. I thoroughly enjoy how the writers have embedded very subtle humor, which the actors accentuate with very subtle facial gestures. There's a lot of humorous references to many occurances in past episodes the non-regular veiwer might not get, and I like that, too. In some ways, there's a Rocky & Bullwinkle adult cartoon humor injected into the show. I suppose that's because Dom DeLuise's two sons are so involved in the series as writers and directors.

I also appreciate the very, very subtle relationship that occurs between the series lead and the series leading lady, and how the pair must not let anyone, even themselves show it. It is an unspoke thing between all the main characters. In most series (Cheers, Ed, and others come to mind) the writers' tendency is to exploit the physical tension between the two characters for a season or two while they fall in love but fight it, have them partner for a season and then have them deal with a break up for a season. Stargate SG-1 has stayed out of this pitfall and can't tell you how much I appreciate that, although the leading lady is beginning to go on her own more and date others, perhaps even fall in love. I wish it would continue in the relationship vein it originally deal, but I'm not one of the writers.

It now appears the series is winding down which produces some wistful melancholy for me. But as Buddha so elequently pointed out: All that arises passes away.

The West Wing passed away the day Aaron Sorkin left it as far as I'm concerned. Or so I thought. I know conservatives called this sereis The Left Wing, but one should realize the fictional presidency is one of a Democrat. And I always appreciated the very real way legitimate middle of the road and legitimate conservative viewpoints were dealt with during Sorkin's tenure with the show. I've come to know every one of the characters and have at one time or another identified with each of them, appreciated them, developed affection for them.

When he left, it just felll apart as far as I was concerned. I came into the current season thinking I was going to watch one or two episodes to confirm my not watching it any more, letting it go. It felt like the end of an affair because these were my friends I was watching (okay, I don't want to get into the whole these are fictional characters discussion).

But I must give credit where it's due, and so far this season it appears as the new production people now involved with the series have gotten their sea legs and the series is beginning to feel more and more like it did the first 4 years. For that I am delighted.

I just thought I'd share all this with you....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home