The gr8ful grind: Come together, over me

Let go of anger; It's an acid that eats away the delicate layers of your happiness

The reverse side has also its reverse side

Saturday, January 08, 2005

Come together, over me

See that little stats counter at the bottom of the right hand column? It gives me a whole brain load of statistics, not just the number of hits to the site. It charts out how many page loads per day, how many unique visitors (which means different from one another), how many first time visitors, how many repeat visitors, etc.

One of the things it tells me is from which IP you've come to get here. Sometimes I can find out people have linked to me on their own blog, while other times I discover they were searching for info about something I mentioned here and were brought to the site by Google.

As I mentioned above, it also tells me how many of you are first timers to the site and how many of you are repeaters. In most cases I am not able to identify you because I'm just not that deep into computer code to be able to decypher IP stuff. But it does tell me where the IP originates, which means I am fairly able to tell from which part of the planet blog readers have arrived and how many times before you've been here.

I checked this morning and not counting people that only have been here once and nevered returned, it appears I have regular readers who live in, or near, Mamaroneck, NY, Plano, TX, Mumbai, India, San Jose, CA, Washington, D.C., Naperville, IL, Toronto, Ontario, Portland, OR, Vancouver, WA, Bend, OR, and someone with a private IP that doesn't give me any hint at all from whence they arrive.

So to all of you regular and semi-regular readers out there, I just want to say I see you and welcome you with an open heart.

Be well.

3 Comments:

Blogger Betsy said...

Oh, I am totally addicted to looking at my blog's stats. Probably too addicted....

10:26 AM  
Blogger ambar said...

Interesting. How do you find out a reader's geographical location from his IP address? I know it's easily done by issuing a traceroute command (e.g. run 'tracert [ip-address]' from the command prompt) on a live host, but I'm not online all the time and my IP address changes because I'm on dialup. So how do you do it? I suppose the software must be doing a tracert on every host that 'hits' your page and logging the results for you to see later... pretty cool. Can you tell me if your reader(s) from Mumbai, India has(have) ever had the same IP address(es) twice or more times?

11:40 AM  
Blogger Justin said...

Well, actually only my server is located in Naperville, but still I am glad that I am not seen as a stranger. How did you get that little button anyways?

8:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home