The gr8ful grind: My time of the month

Let go of anger; It's an acid that eats away the delicate layers of your happiness

The reverse side has also its reverse side

Friday, July 16, 2004

My time of the month

I seem to be feeling a little disconnected today.  I mentioned to someone this morning that it must be my time of the month.  Guys get that way, I hear.
 
In any case, at the moment I do feel disconnected from things, which is not necessarily the norm for me as I attempt to be present in each moment.  I have a day trip I must do, so perhaps the change of venue will inject a little more something or other into it.
 
Actually one thing that helped a little was to tell the India monkey hunter story this morning to someone I recently met.  I do so enjoy telling that one and I am hopeful it was helpful to the person.  I know I reflected on it as I noted this disconnectedness.
 
How about you?  What are your feelings today?  Are you feeling connected?

1 Comments:

Blogger Gr8fulTed said...

On a usual day, I am extremely aware of what is going on with my body, my mind, my intention, how I am sitting, how the clothes feel as they hang on my body, how my body is folded as I sit in the chair, the temperature in the room, sound vibrations that are happening.

When I feel disconnected, I am not so much aware of these things.

Yesterday when I made the comment, I was feeling a sort of malaise, not connected to much, not as aware. Emotions were arising in which there was a general unsatisfactoriness about most things in my immediate environment, my inneractions with others, and my personal life.

Of course, by noting what is going on as a general rule of existance, it becomes much easier for me to understand that whatever was arising yesterday would pass away in a different moment. Perhaps a minute, perhaps an hour, perhaps tomorrow, perhaps next week. I need only experience what was occuring and wait for it to pass away as all physical phenomena does.

Your postulation that men may be more hormonally driven than females, or that they at least succumb to the more base of these chemicals is an interesting one to consider. But it is also important for me to consider the culture in which I live has for millenia been paternalistic and male dominated. I have no idea how hormones play into the creation of this culture. I would suppose quite a bit.

But I have ease drop on women when they are having a conversation in which they don't know a male is present (or don't care), I can state they can also be quite base. They can be just as driven as males. In fact, I quite often opine to anyone who will listen that when a woman is given the same job to do as a male, the woman will also do it better. Always.

Now, why it is that the culture has evolved paternalistically rather than maternalistically is unknown to me, given this perspective. I simply accept that it is and continue on.

So since men tend to be the ones who have risen to power, since it is their hand over the bomb release, and since they have no maternal instinct to speak of, it is they who get the media attention regarding following through on the baser instincts.

But women are just as capable of being uncaring, ruthless, sexually adventurous, philandering, greedy, delusional, and power-driven as men. It's just that our culture doesn't give them as much attention or as many opportunities, so it is much more covert. And when they get such opportunities, they always are more successful at it than men. Always.

8:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home